Friday, May 16, 2008

Excuse me miss, but do you like dragons?

File that title under failed nerd pickup lines.

So for the past week or so I have dug deep into my very own cave of nerdom. Yes, I'm usually down that particular rabbit hole, but I've been spelunking even more than usual. Jill and I went to see Iron Man last week and it was good. We both enjoy Robert Downey Jr. (for somewhat different reasons I think) and he proved to be excellent. I'm saying it was a foot massage movie, it could of been higher, but the lack of a proper villain kinda put me off. Also I may be reaching my fill of super hero movie franchises.

On top of that I have continued to plow through episodes of Battlestar Galactica, which continues to impress. It's doing some good social commentary and has some great effects. I'm through season 2.o and am waiting for Netflix to get me the first part of season 2.5 so I can get off this cliffhanger they've left me on.

I also read Frank Miller's Batman: The Dark Knight Returns. A nice graphic novel from the 80s that does a nice job of commenting on the culture then (some of which is still true today) and making for an entertaining Batman comic. Also Batman and Superman fight! Always a draw.

And of course I've been playing many video games. I traded Gabe my old mountain bike for his PSP. Yes, I know the fat guy shouldn't be giving up exercise equipment for more video games, but really it'd been hanging in the storage area for years. Why not let Gabe actually put it to use?

But yeah, I've been playing loads of stuff on that. God of War: Chains of Olympus is awesome, especially if you love Greek mythology. I'm digging it a lot. I'm also playing Jeanne Darc, which is a turn-based strategy game, which is a game type you either love or just don't get. No real middle ground on those.

So yes, my nerd level is high. I may have to get a pocket protector if things continue like this. Ohh in sports nerdiness (which is more socially acceptable), the Penguins are one win away from the Stanley Cup finals! Hell yeah, Crosby and Malkin getting it done.

No comments: