Monday, January 05, 2009

The Evil Penguin Top 20 Albums of 2008

OK, fine I won't just bore you. I'll actually take some time and decide what my favorite albums of 2008 were. I was going to just do 10, but there were so many I went to 20. Here ya go.

  • 20 - Destroyer - Trouble In Dreams: A solid album by an artist I've grown to love in the last couple of years. Some quality tracks, but just not as exceptional as 2006's Destroyer's Rubies.
  • 19 - Saul Williams - The Inevitable Rise and Fall of Niggy Tardust: Lyrics written by a legitimate poet and music put together by Trent Reznor. The cover of Sunday, Bloody Sunday is a fantastic reworking.
  • 18 - Crystal Castles - Crystal Castles: A combination of electronica, video game noise, dense atmosphere and odd vocal stylings. Beeping and booping you can't help but love.
  • 17 - Parts & Labor - Receivers: Solid indie rock with a touch of noise thrown in for seasoning. I really need to listen to this album more.
  • 16 - Torche - Meanderthal: Doom metal with a lighter edge, but still maintaining the thunderous riffs. Guitar solos slice through these tracks with the edge of a Hanzo blade.
  • 15 - Cut Copy - In Ghost Colours: Reminds me of Depeche Mode minus the S&M undertones. The track "Out There On The Ice" puts this in my top 20 singlehandedly.
  • 14 - Deer Hunter - Microcastle: There is something soothing about this album. The sound washes over you like a wave balancing between delicate and immersive.
  • 13 - Atlas Sound - Let The Blind Lead Those Who Can See But Cannot Feel: Beautiful noises lashed together with soothing vocals to make an sparse and soothing album.
  • 12 - The Hold Steady - Stay Positive: I still say this is The Hold Steady's weakest album. Good thing for them they set the bar so high in the past.
  • 11 - The Magnetic Fields - Distortion: Aptly named and wonderful. Clever lyrics, lovely vocals and a subtle grind of noise make this album wonderful.
  • 10 - The Black Angels - Directions To See A Ghost: These guys crib from The Velvet Underground's style of fuzzed out spacey rock and the world is better for it.
  • 9 - Boris - Smile: Crash doom metal, experimental noise and shoegaze and you have a start of what Boris is. The track Next Saturn makes noise so beautiful it defies description.
  • 8- TV On The Radio - Dear Science: The more time you put into this album the better it gets. One of my favorite bands releases another masterpiece.
  • 7 - Portishead - Third: These guys return from the dead to astound everyone. Beg, borrow or steal to listen to The Rip. I think it's maybe the single best song of the year.
  • 6 - LCD Soundsystem - Sound Of Silver: Electronic music at it's best gets you bobbing your head without you ever thinking about it. This does that.
  • 5 - Gnarls Barkley - The Odd Couple: What can't Dangermouse do? On first listen I didn't think this was as good as St. Elsewhere. I was wrong.
  • 4 - Fuck Buttons - Street Horrrsing: Electronic noise turned up to 11. This is the music I didn't know I wanted, but man I so did. I'm still considering moving this up the list.
  • 3 - Beck - Modern Guilt: Another album produced by Dangermouse that I love. Beck brings us some psychedelic pop rock that does not disappoint.
  • 2 - Blood On The Wall - Liferz: Combines punk rock from the Pixies/Sonic Youth traditions and I can't seem to stop listening to it.
  • 1 - Girl Talk - Feed The Animals: You can play this album for almost anyone and they will love it. Gregg Gillis gets better and better at his craft of combining thousands of old pop tracks into something new and wonderful.
So there it is. I'm making a mix CD of my favorite tracks that I could be talked into making a copy of for those interested.

No comments: