Monday, February 26, 2007

Validating the validated

Now listening to: Babyshambles

Watched the Oscars with Trip tonight (after he beat me at Tony Hawk, I report it when I school him so I'm giving him his props). Some of my thoughts on the Oscars:
  • I like film montages based on past nominees or winners. I like learning about movies I may not know about that I would enjoy seeing.
  • This show is basically a handjob for Hollywood types, validating people who already have the adoration of the masses. Still, it must be nice to get that type of recognition from your peers. Wouldn't be nice if normal people got to feel that appreciated once in a while?
  • Forest Whitaker's acceptance speech was awesome. It was moving, concise and powerful. Also it looked like he was pumped to win afterward. It's good seeing an actor I really do like enjoy his moment, although I was sad for Peter O'Toole.
  • Please stop with the musical numbers. I don't like em, even when I do. They go overlong and most of them are lame. Sidenote: Beyonce got shown up vocally by Jennifer Hudson. She tried to bring it back, but it wasn't gonna happen.
  • I was rooting against the little girl from Little Miss Sunshine, because she's a kid. Trip thinks it's because I just hate kids, which I kinda do, but that's not the only reason. You have serious actresses who have dedicated most of their lives to the craft and then her comes some cute kid to snatch the accolades. She's not gonna really appreciate it, at least not until she's been through rehab a couple of times and living in a trailor, sucking dick for crack. Then she'll realize how good it was... Wow, got on a tangent there huh?
  • Jack Nicholson is the coolest guy ever. What must it be like to live his life? Talented, recognized, accomplished. All while having this undeniable charm that's irresistable even to a crotchety bastard like me. He's on a short list of people that just seem to have everything pretty much figured out. Jack, Hef, Sinatra (actually probably several of the Rat Pack go here). There may be some others, but they escape me at the moment.
  • Look I like Meryl Streep, I do. She has a depth as an actress that is incredible. But come on, her playing a bitch in The Devil Wears Prada was not an Oscar performance. No one but her gets nominated for that role, even if they do it better than she did.
  • I have seen next to none of the Oscar movies this year. I gotta get it together and watch some of em, especially The Departed, The Queen and The Last King of Scotland.

No comments: