Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Que?

Man it's a beautiful day. I'm actually gonna end up outside for a while and enjoying it for a change. Gotta do some mowing, which once I get started on I don't mind at all. I just dread it beforehand... like most things.

Anyway, not much is going on atm. I've been doing my usual bumming around. I watched Spanglish yesterday, which I thought was pretty good. Not spectacular (although Paz Vega's body definitely deserves that term, Tea Leoni looked good too, but I don't have the fixation with here that Trip and Kevin do). I think it got kind of a bad rap because Adam Sandler is in it. Critics only see him as the goofy bastard that makes somewhat juvenile comedies (which I love). But with this and Punch Drunk Love, he's shown he can be more than a fart joke punchline, he's got some emotional range. Don't get me wrong he ain't Brando yet, but give the man a chance. Anyway I'm giving it a +1 chainmail rating.

I'm now reading Haunted, by Chuck Palahniuk. It's a collection of short stories strung together by an odd narrative. The stories, in usual Palahniuk fashion, tend toward the disturbing. I can't remember if I commented on Guts when I read it in Playboy, but man it is one of the most off-putting tales ever. It wraps the awkwardness of youthful masturbation with the horror of real life tragedy in a way that makes your skin crawl. It's one of those things that you have to experience to get, but honestly it's not for everyone.

No comments: