Thursday, May 19, 2005

You are unwise to lower your defenses

Well I did it. Trip and I went to a matinee of Ep. 3. I suppose I get some nerd cred back, seeing it on opening day. Anyway I have to say it is easily the best of the prequels. Granted the bar isn't too high, but it's pretty good. The acting isn't nearly as wooden and there is nigh constant action.

My favorite bits were the ones with General Grievous, who rocked. I liked him in the Clone Wars cartoon and my respect has only deepened. But yeah, it this is def. the fourth best Star Wars movie ever made. My personal rankings for the films (and, really, the only sensible way to rank them) are: Empire Strikes Back, Star Wars (A New Hope), Return of the Jedi (extraordinary except for the Ewoks), Return of the Sith, Attack of the Clones and, last and least, The Phantom Menace.

It's funny, when the movie finally started and the Star Wars theme kicked in with those old 70s Star Wars font scrolls up the screen I can't help but feel a little giddy. It's something visceral and ingrained. I mean that is a great lead in. There will never be a new movie with that lead in. It's the end of an era.

2 comments:

NickVNC said...

"Star Wars nothing but Star Wars......." yeah I saw it yesterday and I loved it I agree with your ratings though I might rate it above Return of the Jedi....great action scenes a much better story and the actors have grown in to their parts....(too bad it took 3 movies to get there.)

Ignatious said...

god, i hate george lucas.
with the white hot heat of a thousand suns.

i'm sorry. i'm drunk.