Friday, December 19, 2008

Put a record on and shut off that tv!

I don't know if it's because I haven't had enough caffeine or if it's because I'm a lazy sack of shit, but I'm exhausted. I think it's just lots of little stress things and the time of year.

I've been listening to a ton of music the last few days, trying to catch up with what the critics call the best albums of 2008. Some good stuff I missed. Crystal Castles self-titled album sounds like one part dance, one part noise, one part atmosphere and one part donkey kong. I know it sounds weird and it is, but it's really a great album to put on and chill.

Also been digging some MGMT, which may be one of the more commercially successful bands I'm listening to lately, although frankly I'm totally disconnected with what sells in the music world. But MGMT is something I think some of my readers may like. One or two of the three of you. It's not too aggressive, not too weird. Well, not to weird to me, but I've heard weedeaters and enjoyed them, so a grain of salt is required.

But yeah, I always forget how good it feels to just sit down and play some music and relax. I get caught up in movies or tv or video games, things I just have to see or do. But music is always a good time investment.

Ohh, a band that defies my normal stereotype altogether is The Silver Jews' Lookout Mountain, Lookout Sea. Sure it's indie, but it's alt-country. Some great lyrics coupled with an old school mellow country vibe that prove irresistable. Hey if you get me to like country music, you've done something well. I can tell you. Also check out their older album Tanglewood Numbers, which is fantastic.

I think I'm gonna try to put up some serious best of 2008 lists this year, but I'm still working on absorbing a lot of music. I may do a video game list first, since that is where my head has been for most of this year.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bro- could you put together an "E's Best" CD for me. Something techno-industrial is good. What are you thinking?

Adam