Monday, April 06, 2009

I'm gon' learn to read!

Gah, the work week seems to keep getting longer. Was totally stunned tonight. but honestly that's like most nights. But at least the weekend is here now. Relaxing time.

I finished Chip Kidd's The Learners this weekend and it's excellent. It's the sequel to The Cheese Monkeys, which I also read recently. Both are excellent and give an insight into the formation of design theory without boring the crap out of you. I'd recommend then to anyone.

I also started reading Issue 13 of McSweeney's Quarterly Concern, which is the comic issue. Some fascinating info and comics in there and it's got an astounding design aesthetic, courtesy of Chris Ware. I got a few issues of this a coupla weeks ago when their website had a sale.

Another thing I purchased in that sale and next up on my reading list is Nick Hornby's Shakespeare Wrote For Money. This is a collection of his columns from The Believer magazine. They are about what books he's reading and buying and it's the third collection of this sort that I've bought. I make an effort to read all the Nick Hornby I can find.

In other literary news, Tor has finally announced some info on the final Wheel of Time novel. It's going to be a trilogy... This annoys me. It's the final novel in a 12 book series that the author, Robert Jordan, died before completing and they are going to make it a posthumous trilogy? Christ, why don't they just ransom off the thing page by page to suck the most money out of nerds wallets. It's absurd. It's evil in the same way the Star Wars prequels were evil. Let's just hope that this trilogy doesn't suck as hard as that one.

No comments: