Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Childless whores

Another day to fill in my mindnumbing life. Can you believe it? I just sit around the house and wait for credit card companies to call and harass me. It's great, I think I'm getting a nice new hole in my stomach thinking about it.

But anyway, I spent the weekend watching The Incredibles. I think I watched the movie twice and then watched all the non-commentary special features. I can't get enough. If it was still in the house I'd have watched the commentaries. But it went back to the library. Sarah Vowell had a cool little segment on the dvd. She voiced Violet and I've been a fan of her's for a while. She writes cool books about American history and has done lots of radio stuff for NPR. I recommend you check out her books, they are awesome.

Anyway since the forced shut in of race weekend, I went over to Trip's a couple of days. Got smoked at Warcraft 3. You'd think that having some success at the older games would translate into skill at this one, but no...that is not the case.

Yesterday I went with Trip and his parents to get sushi and that was cool. His rents bought me dinner, which I appreciated a lot. I went with the full sushi meal and tried some new things. I have to say that I think I need a counterpoint to the sushi to fully enjoy it. When it's all I had, it was a little much. After that we watched House, which was very good, and I went home.

Once here I decided to hold off on my WoW addiction for a night and I finished reading Douglas Coupland's new book Eleanor Rigby. It was good, albeit a bit too depressing at times. It tackles the idea of loneliness and dealing with it. He's so good at feeling out the soul of his characters and making them easy to relate to that you have to be impressed with his work, even when it's a tad off kilter. I'd rate this a foot massage book.

I then decided to tear into a series I read years ago, the Incarnations of Immortality by Piers Anthony. I read the entire first novel last night, On a Pale Horse. It's really good. The series deals with a universe where actual people assume the roles of Death, War, Time, Fate and Nature. Actually God and Satan are thrown in there too, to spice things up.

The first book is all about Death and is very good, although it suffers from having to map out the world. Still it's good. Next up is Time, in Bearing an Hourglass. I'm enjoying re-reading these books, because I was very young the last time around and some of the concepts about the subjective nature of good and evil may have been lost on me back then. Anyway I'll keep you informed.

No comments: