Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Rambling in exile

Ok not really exile. I'm currently staying in a hotel in Roanoke. The power at my apartment is out and not supposed to be back before Thursday. Which could be Saturday, knowing how those estimates go. So I packed up my shit and got a hotel room in Roanoke, which, by the way, if in-fucking-credibly expensive. I didn't expect it to be so much. I did manage to talk the concierge down from $69 a night to $49, but it's still too much.

But really, can you put a price on running water and internet access? Probably, but whatever, I need those things a lot. I was starting to smell like beef ass after less than one day without a shower. Not to mention now I don't have to commute for a few days, which will be nice.

Also it seems I was lucky to get a room at all since there is a media feeding frenzy in the area due to the Virginia Tech massacre. As most of you know, I'm a jaded fuck. I shrug off a lot of things most people are concerned about and generally believe that mankind gets what it deserves. That said, this penetrated through my shield of indifference.

Not because it's Tech, a school I'm indifferent to, or near me, but because college is supposed to be a safe place. You're supposed to be able to go there, learn and be whoever you want. Explore different avenues and figure out who the hell you are. Hard to feel safe in a place that's had a mass murder of that caliber. Hell, it'd be hard to feel safe at any campus after that. If it can happen out in the middle of no where in Blacksburg, it can happen anywhere. That's a debilitating thought.

Not much else going on really. I exacerbated my money issue by buying the new Venture Bros. Season 2 DVD, but really it's a must own. Works of pure genius.

Ohh I did finish Kurt Vonnegut's Breakfast of Champions and that was very good (foot massage). The world is gonna miss a sense of humor like Vonnegut's. He knew just how to skewer the right people.

No comments: