Sunday, February 20, 2005

Bobbing along in my barrel

So I haven't updated in a while. I have no real excuse other than the sheer mundunaity of my everyday life. Of course, if you were concerned with that you'd have stopped reading a long time ago. Honestly I didn't do much this week after Monday. I watched Deadwood with Trip and several episode of Wonderfalls. I played a metric buttload of WoW (now a hair shy of level 56) and watched crap tv.

Today I finally managed to break from the drudgery a bit, as Trip and I hit G-boro. Had some Chinese food for lunch, which wasn't bad. I watched Trip shop for a bit and managed to stave off my own consumerist instincts. We went to see Sideways, which was really good. I'm baffled that Paul Giamatti didn't get a best actor nomination. He's so good at playing characters that aren't really great people, but he makes you empathize with them somehow. I'd rate Sideways at Filet Mignon.

We then returned to Trip's pad and watched Brandon Hopkins defend his middleweight title for the 20th time. The fight wasn't overly exciting, with Hopkins controlling the entire fight and winning more on technique than slugging the other guy. Impressive in it's efficiency, but not entertaining.

I'm not the biggest boxing fan, really. All the scandal and different titles and general shadiness of the sport turn me off. That said, I do enjoy the rich history of boxing. I love watching old fights and documentarys on old fighters. I really want to see the PBS movie on Jack Johnson, the first black heavyweight champ. He's a hero of mine.

No comments: