Monday, February 07, 2005

Superstition ain't the way

I don't like to be a superstitious person. I'm not a big believer in that sort of thing, by and large. But around the beginning of the fourth quarter of the Super Bowl, it occurred to me that the Eagles couldn't win. Not because they aren't talented or played exceptionally poorly. Simply because I was rooting for them.

When things get to a major stage, a la the Super Bowl, my support and active participation is a guarantee that defeat is the order of the day. It's played out in major football games, presidential elections and even at the Oscars. I don't really think of myself as a born loser, but I do tend to be on the minority side in most things.

After the game, which was close, but not particularly well-played I thought. Well, Tom Brady played well and Deion Branch, but that shouldn't come as a surprise. Trip and I watched The Simpsons, which wasn't really my fav. episode, and then American Dad, which was Family Guy, Take 2. I gotta tell you, I wasn't impressed. While I don't have the loathing that Trip does for it, I can't say it's good.

Speaking of less than stellar, how about that halftime show. Now I know music history and completely understand the way the Beatles changed it for all time. I understand how integral Paul McCartney was to that process at the time and how Paul, John, George and Ringo are a veritable Mt. Rushmore of rock and roll. That said, come on... how is he still relevant? I know the NFL was all concerned about the whole boob flashing thing, but really, why not just march a orchestra out and have them play Beethoven.

I know I shouldn't complain, it could have been the horrible country/trailor park girl Gretchen whatever that played in the pregame...yesh. I thought country divas were at least supposed to be hot, that's the only reason I can stand any of them at all. Also note to country music people, let Charlie Daniels not play Devil went down to Georgia for a while. Give the man a break.

No comments: