Monday, October 17, 2005

Hard drugs are for bartenders

So I'm not cursing every few minutes now, well no more than normal anyway. I dim acceptance has taken over that I suppose will carry me through. I'll now try to talk about recent developments outside the NFL.

First off, Jeff has had his baby. Well, his wife did and all is well. So that's cool. There is now a chip off the old Biscuit out there. So congrats to him, although I'm not sure he reads this blog, but I'll link his nonetheless.

Friday I hung with Trip and we watched Threshold. While the show is still good, I'm a little concerned that it could get bogged down with some side stories and lose some momentum from the main concept. We'll see how it goes. Saturday, Danny, Trip and I went to Danville where Danny and I got a copy of the ESPN NHL 2005 game, both used and under $10. It's fun when everyone can practice on the same game and actually compete instead of taking a beating from the one guy who owns the game.

So I'm reading this book by the Dali Lama. It's about how science and spirituality don't have to be mutually exclusive, which I happen to believe. In fact, most of what the lama is about I agree with, aside from some of the more hardcore buddhist dogma. But anyway I mentioned this in an email to Dana, who lives in Arizona. She told me that the lama had recently been there and that people had protested him!!?! They had signs that said Tolerance=sin.

Ok, if there is a hell, there is a special place in it for people who earnestly belive tolerance=sin. Plus protesting the lama is the dumbest thing ever. According to Tibetan Buddhism the lama is essentially the spirit of peace, unity and enlightenment come to life and continually reincarnated to help spread love and joy. Now while I normally don't believe a religion's word about it's centerpiece (the pope isn't infallible, get over it) the lama has made an effort to at least try to follow the doctrine of his role in his religion. He's never condemned people for using birth control or masturbating or called them to bomb anyone as far as I know. He's just a cool guy, who'd kinda like his country back.

I suppose I'm more defensive because as far as religions go I'm closer to buddhism that most, at least in theory. Sort of a zen/taoism thing with existential highlights. Of course around these parts once you depart from christianity you're so far out of the mainstream as to be absurd. I distinctly remember the looks some people would give me in high school when I told em I not only didn't go to church, but I didn't believe in their god. Hmm actually I remember a couple of those looks from the Bulletin as well.

In closing I would like to say that if you protest the Dalai Lama the you can fuck right off.

No comments: