Friday, January 05, 2007

Transfer my tragedy

Now listening to: TV on the Radio and Final Fantasy (the musician, not the game)

So I was talking the other day when I said something that made me think. I said that music is very important to me. This seems completely obvious, I'm sure. I have an enormous cd collection, talk about music constantly and immerse myself in hundreds of bands that most people will never hear of. The part that made me think is, why am I so obsessed with music? What difference does it make if I know about all the hippest new indie rock bands? Why must I sneer at Nickelback fans?

I haven't really come up with a good answer. I suppose it's centered on how music can make you escape. A few well placed chords and you can have an absolutely transcendent experience. Or perhaps it has to do with the fact that I don't really relate well to a lot of people. Music shows me that while human beings are often flawed, petty and horrible there is still something positive that can come out of humanity. That despite feeling solitary so often, there is still something in people with which I can relate.

Some of the new stuff I'm relating to of late is TV on the Radio, The Knife and Dimmu Borgir. TV on the Radio is hard to explain, it's got a lot of things going on, saxes, interesting vocals and very good lyrics. Still it's not easy to get into, the first time I listened to it I didn't really dig it. It's only after a few more times that I've gotten it and now I'm having trouble not listening to it. The single, Wolf Like Me, really shines. The Knife is an electronic act that has depth. It's not just beats and whatever, it's got some emotion in there. Dimmu Borgir is one of the bigger black metal bands out there and are kinda evil. But I like the evil, it's kind of my thing.

Ohh I'm also reading this book of Tom Waits interviews and whatnot that Kevin (and Courtney too I suppose) was gracious enough to give me for Xmas. That guy just can't stop with the great lines. It's amazing. "Watch out for Charlie Weis. That guy will sell you a rat's asshole for a wedding ring." I challenge you to top that... yeah didn't think so. The lobotomy line to your left also arrives via Waits.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're gay.

eric said...

Thanks for the incite filled comment.