Monday, January 12, 2004

Your emotions are nothing but politics

Now listening to: Rites of Spring

Have felt overcome by an undeniable sense of dread all day. I thought about my monthly expenses and how a car payment is going to affect them. I'm not happy about it. I hate my current debt and now I'll be accruing more. I'm considering just putting a new top on the jeep and trying to tough it out for a while and use the car payment money to reduce my credit card debt. May be a good idea, but a new car would be nice. I don't know what I want to do.

Listening to Embrace earlier, they have a song called "Money." It's an indictment of our consumerist society that emphasizes the continual effort to collect more and more things. The innate self indulgent nature of capitalism. While I do agree with this intellectually, I find it difficult to not want more. Of course I am probably under the monentary level of the people this song targets, but I still feel like a bit of a hypocrite as I realize that possessions don't really make my life better, but I continue to chase after them.

On a related note I saw details on a big unadvertised video game sale at Circuit City. I may have to check it out and see if it's legit. Although the last thing I really need is more video games. I have tons I haven't played.

I did go to the library after Trip and I had dinner and checked out a couple of books. "Animal Farm" and this novel some how related to Sei Shonagan and her pillow book. I'm gonna try to finish Animal Farm tonight, which shouldn't be a problem unless I get distracted. I did manage to waste too much time watching crappy Monday night TV.

No comments: