Sunday, June 20, 2004

I can't believe you asked me that

Now enjoying: a peanut butter cookie

Well I am on the threshold of a couple of days off and that's always pleasant. Work wasn't that bad tonight, but that's because I minimized my time there. I came in late, took a nigh-three hour dinner break and generally did as little as possible. It was nice. Why can't every night be like that.

During my dinner break, I had to run home to fetch a roster I had left in a pair of shorts I can't wear in the office anymore. I have to say the drive home was really nice. The weather was perfect, cool and just reaching dusk. I had a nice drive and it brightened my mood considerably.

During some down time at work, I read an interview with P.J. Harvey where the interviewer started the article off by noting that she's a tough interview and admitting he asked her a stupid question and she called him on it. I started thinking about the interviews I read and how often they don't really ask the questions I want answered. Then I started to remember the difficulty I often have asking the right questions. It's not easy. Sometimes you know what to ask and sometimes you stand there with a dumb look and hope for the best.

I think interviewing is similiar with athletes and musicians as you're asking them to verbalize something that isn't really a verbal phenomenon. Athletics are mainly physical and when you ask them to describe something, they aren't prepared for it because they just do it. It's not about words. Music is the same. So much music transcends words and explaining it can only bring it down from the height it started at. So next time you read an interview and think "That's a stupid question." remember this sort of thing ain't easy.

No comments: