Saturday, December 11, 2004

We don't have time to train a cat

Yesterday was all about two ends of the movie spectrum. I got up early (noon) again and Trip and I caught an Ocean's 12 matinee. It was nice, only five other people in the theatre and they wanted to see the movie, not chat. The movie was really good. I loved the first one and this one was almost as good. Again, nothing beats a good caper movie, especially not with that cast. I'd saying it was filet mignon, despite a couple of moments of implausibility.

After that sterling start to the day, we went to Blockbuster and rented Starship Troopers 2. OK I really liked the first Starship Troopers. He had next to nothing to do with Heinlein's book (aside from the title and the bugs) but it was fun. Also I thought it had a certain style. The sequel, however, didn't have any sort of style.

It had a few moments of decent CG, but when compared to the horrible sets and props, it only went to emphasis how crappy they were. They must have gotten extra cash for CG by not bothering to hire real actors. They just got derelicts off the streets to play the roles and it was abysmal. I had low expectations going in and it didn't even meet those. So I have to give this movie the gas face with a torn colon rating.

Incidently I am considering changing my rating system a hair, by getting rid of the shaq-fu rating and replacing it with the stink eye. I'll ruminate on that today.

No comments: