Friday, December 19, 2003

The tube is civilization

Now listening to: more Electric Six

So today was fun, I got up (relatively) early and caught the early matinee of The Return of the King. It was everything I hoped it'd be. I honestly now rank that trilogy above the original Star Wars movies. That's right I said it. Trip disagrees, but I think it's merely his bias against fantasy comign into play. Well that and some serious nostalgia.

But point in fact, each of the Lord of the Rings movies was a masterpiece, with them getting better with each one. On the other hand, Stars Wars peaked in the middle and The Return of the Jedi was a little lackluster. My hatred of Ewoks is well documented. Trip's argument that the Hobbits were as useless as the Ewoks simply doesn't hold water. The hobbits stay in character, weak, but nimble with hearts like lions, while Ewoks somehow overcome the Imperial Shock Troops guarding the shield protecting the Death Star (a project that is more than a little important to the Empire as they've built two).

Also the story represents the ability of the little guy to come through despite his shortcomings. I know you'll say that the ewoks could represent the same thing, but no it doesn't make sense. The hobbits were capable of the same level of thought as everyone else, while the ewoks were a primitive culture of teddy bears still in the stone age.

Moving along, I am now relaxing, sipping some single malt scotch on the rocks. It's ok...the more I drink the better it gets, but I'm not quite converted into a scotch drinker. I've heard from a reliable source that it can make you belligerent, which makes sense when you consider the Scots reputation for fighting.

No comments: