Monday, January 16, 2006

I need me some frontbutt

Well I'll start with some odds and ends before moving into football-speak. First off, I watched Oldboy last night, which was an odd film. Odd. It's a Korean movie about a guy who gets picked up off the street and imprisoned for 15 years. Not by a government or anything, just some odd people grab him and keep him. It gets weirder from there. It had some cool images, including a nice torture sequence and a fight with a hammer. I'm saying +1 chainmail, but not recommending it for the weak of heart.

I forgot to mention I was reading John Berendt's The City of Falling Angels. He's the guy who wrote Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil (which I never read, but the movie was good). Anyway this time Berendt is in Venice and goes on and on about it. While some of it was interesting, by page 200 or so I was tired of hearing about the squabbles of rich Europeans and expatriates. So I gave it up. If I was forced to rate it despite my lack of completing it I'd say it straddles the line between Meh. and Shaq-fu.

On to football. I would like to now brag that I was a perfect 4-0 in my picks on the weekend. All bow before my skills. Honestly I woulda been happy with a 1-3 record if that one win was Pittsburgh. But I'm hoping to continue my streak next week (hint: I'm picking Pittsburgh).

I'm rooting for both road teams next week. Obviously I'm dedicated to the Steelers, but I'd like to see Carolina pound the Seahawks as well. I've hated Seattle for a long time for purely idiosyncratic reasons. I've only met two Seahawks fans in my entire life and both of them annoyed me, one to the point of hoping he dies slowly and painfully. I blame him for making me hate them.

But yeah, Steve Smith is gonna be a pain for them to stop. He made the Bears' D look inept and I hear they have a little talent. Does Seattle have that kinda defense? I dunno, I haven't seen enough of em to know. Watching them stop the Redskins' offense wasn't that inspiring (those guys need a #2 receiver really bad). I suppose they could turn it into a shootout. I dunno, I'm not prepped to make picks yet, well picks that don't involve Pittsburgh.

No comments: