Tuesday, April 13, 2004

Reality TV killed the American Dream

A lot of people are offended by living a modest life.

America was founded on the belief of bigger and better. So being happy with less is anathema to “The American Dream.”

Of course “The American Dream” has changed. It’s gone from “working harder so your kids will be better off than you” to “I hope I can get find a way to get rich quick or become famous.” The hard-working American has been traded in the quick buck and fast living.

That explains the fascination with reality TV shows and the abundance of frivolous lawsuits, people imagine that they could do that. I could be the girl getting rich for eating boar penis or the guy who sued his job for not putting a safety guard on his stapler.

I can’t say I‘m much better, I’d love to be rich and not worry about it. But I’m not going to sue someone for no reason and I will never be on a reality TV show. Not that I really subscribe to the old American Dream either. I’m not really a hard worker and pretty sure I don’t want kids.

This leaves me with the question of what I want to do with my life. I’m not really sure. I currently float through doing a job that isn’t all that rewarding. It’s best feature is that it is relatively low stress and I can drift through without too much thought.

But sometimes that really feels unfulfilling. I want more and think about moving on and getting a better job, working my way up the ladder. But that seems like far too much effort. I’m not a go-getter. I don’t look for something to do at work when everything is going fine. Why should I? I’m already surrendering my time to make some rich guy richer, why put forth more effort than the minimum? It’s much easier to coast and take my pleasure where I can.

So I cut all the corners I can at work to come home and play video games, watch movies and TV and read a lot. Classical escapism. I get by and try to not be bothered too much.

So there you have it. I’m not living the American Dream. My way is more Buddhist I suspect. Cut out desire and enlightenment will follow.

OK so I still desire plenty of things and can’t claim enlightenment. I want the newest CDs, books, movies and games all the time. I also want a relationship and love and a house to myself, but part of me is scared of those things as well.

Will a relationship change me? Will I be able to get the me time I need on the regular, will I even want it? If I live alone will I become so isolated that I forget how to act around other people? Would I be able to take care of my own domicile or would my slackness let it recede into decrepitude?

Am I somewhat happy or satisfied or just experiencing inertia?

I dunno. But I don’t need a reality TV show or someone telling me to get my ass in gear. I just have to figure it out for myself. I have to decide what my American Dream is.

No comments: