Wednesday, September 22, 2004

Sticks and rocks

Now watching: Throne of Blood

So last night I finally got to play Star Wars Battlefront with Trip and Corb. It was pretty fun, flawed but fun. We had a good time shooting rebel scum and Ewoks. Corb was playing as Corbacca, which I found to be hilarious. So a good time was had by all. It will probably be even better online or with the system link.

After that I came home and watched the end of the WSOP Tournament of Champions, which was fun. It's always cool to see high level players you're familiar with in action. Between that and Mike's invite to play poker I decided to get a little play money action going. It's not the same as the real thing, but I wanted to play something. I started out on and Omaha table, which was a bad idea as I got school quickly. I then moved to a pot limit hold em table where I did very well. Had some solid hands where a low pocket pair turned into trips and then a full house. After starting with $25 of fake cash I ended the night around $190. Sure it's fake money, but it's always fun to win.

I started watching Thone of Blood yesterday and it's damn good. Another Akira Kurosawa samurai movie that is just well put together. You can't deny the epic battle sequences or the acting of Toshiro Mifune. It's a window into Japanese history, with a bit of fantasy thrown in. An evil spirit delivers information on the future and the main characters end up acting to make them come try, with the help of a meanspirited, needling wife in Mifune's case. It's a morality tale about not betraying trust to further your own goals. A bit of a steal from old Shakespeare, I think, but still excellent. I'm saying foot massage, but admit it's a bit slow paced and not for everyone.

No comments: