Monday, September 13, 2004

Those hats are murder!

Now listening to: Slipknot

It's been a pretty good day. I started things off by watching the Steelers pull out a late victory over the Raiders 24-21 this afternoon and that set the tone right. I'll probably blog about that more at Goal Line Stand. After that I had planned to watch the Giants/Eagles, but the dimwits at the local Fox affiliate decided that the Falcons/49ers game would draw a bigger crowd...I think not. That is just stupid. So I bailed and Trip and I celebrated the Steelers win (ok I celebrated Trip was just there) by eating crab legs at Red Lobster. Which was good.

We returned to Trip's pad and watched Resident Evil. Milla Jovovich is really hot, but the movie was not good. I'm a big fan of zombie movies and this just left me kinda cold. Too many places where I wanted to see more gore and didn't (Meh.). Also I have a question for most zombie movies...if the zombies are basically motivated by their desire to eat, why don't they eat each other? It's the same flesh. The movies where they only want fresh brains I get, but the flesheaters are eating the same thing either way. Just a thought.

We watched the Slipknot video that was on the Resident Evil DVD and Trip remarked that they were kinda crappy. That sparked a debate that covered a defense of death metal (by me), shock rock and how a band's fans don't necessarily provide an accurate picture of what a band is doing. Oh and we bashed the Family Guy for a bit, because that show is really not so good, despite a dedicated fan following. I defend it to Trip, but watching tonight's episode, it really is a poor man's Simpsons.

After that we watched adult swim, which is awesome. High points included a blue buffalo shouting the title of this post, a milkshake firing t-shirts through a window and a man subduing his captors with the power of his ass muscules. I have to say it was pure genius.

Back to Slipknot, I'm listening to Iowa, which I picked up a while back when I didn't exactly know what Slipknot was like. It's not bad, but not great either. They wear odd masks and have their own band lore to pull their fans in. Musically it's got that grinding metal sound a la Korn, with an occasional nod to speed metal/death metal. Lyrically, it certainly appeals to angst filled teenage males, I wouldn't say it'd devoid of worth. They aren't really blazing a new path, but if writing about original things was a requirement then there wouldn't be a whole lot to choose from (although They Might Be Giants might still have a substantial catalogue, but they are rather unsual). I'd say this album ranks about a +1 chainmail, but I do have a higher tolerance for yelling, noise and angsty lyrics than most.

No comments: