Monday, May 03, 2004

I'm like Che Guevara with bling

Now listening to: DJ Danger Mouse (The Grey Album)

I've spent the day slacking as planned. Watched a considerable amount of Angel, Season 3. It's been pretty good. I'm now enjoying the illegal stylings of DJ Danger Mouse. It's interesting, to say the least. I suppose it's not really smart to listen to the amalgam of the Black and White albums without ever having heard the originals, but what am I gonna do? I could probably figure out how to do a mix like that (maybe not as good to start), particularly with Trip's help. But I don't know if I've got the dedication to deconstruct and build again like that. It would take a lot of effort, probably more than actually creating something completely original.

There is a lot of talk about the copyright infringement. Personally I believe art is part of the word once it is created, particularly music. I understand why an artist wants to get paid for his creation and talent and I also understand that you don't want songs used to pimp products without the permission of the artist. But when it comes to remixing or the like, it stifles new artists when they can't crib from the past or even try to adapt, particularly in this age. The fact of the matter is that music is moving forward with the remix, that's the evolution.

Also copyrights need to end at some point. It'd be nice to own the rights to a popular song, but c'mon you can't hold on to them forever. I blame Disney, pushing those laws for as long as possible. Let something go into the public domain. I suppose it just comes down to the money again. Art be damned when there is a buck to be made.

Just not a lot going on. After reading several new blogs the last couple of days, I realize that my life is way to dull to write about. Maybe I should just create a fictional blog about the life I want. That might be interesting. I dunno, I need to live less in a fantasy realm, not more.

No comments: