Thursday, July 01, 2004

Spins a web, any size

Just got in from Danville, where the new Spiderman movie was viewed and enjoyed. It's a good movie and I like it. I'd say it too inhabits a land between the burg of +1 chainmail and the barrio of Filet Mignon. However, saying that I would like to point out a couple of things that annoyed me. First, there were some scenes where I really didn't like the editing. I don't need a full screen view of Mary Jane's head, then Peter Parker's noggin in big head mode and finally back to MJ's huge head. Too many super closeups. That's my first problem.

The second is that as far as superheroes go, Spidey isn't my fav. I know, it was I who chose to plunk down the $7 for a movie called Spiderman 2, but what am I gonna do. The problem I always had with Spiderman was that he was conflicted and confused and never seemed to embrace being a superhero the way some others do. To put it to a point, he doesn't kick ass enough. He hems and haws and worries about hte consequences instead of busting shit up. This movie plays that up, and rightly so it is the character, but it's not what I want.

Still I did like it. I found Doc Oct to be a much more satisfying villan and there were some really sublime moments. I'm kinda leary of the third movie, which will undoubtedly be about the Hobgoblin. It's funny, in the comics I always liked the Green Goblin/Hobgoblin because of their ruthless nature and pumpkin bombing. In the movies it just doesn't read as well.

Frankly the whole film made me yearn for a good movie about a villan. The villans are the more interesting characters, why not focus on them instead of the goody goody. So I propose a full on Dr. Doom movie. He's one of the great villans and his story needs to be more than an afterthought to Spidey or the Fantastic Four.

No comments: