Tuesday, October 05, 2004

Controlled violence

Now listening to: Wilco

Just watched the Chiefs-Ravens game at Trip's and have to say I love watching the Ravens lose. It's just wonderful. The Chiefs' O-Line is so much fun to watch, those guys just punish people. Also Priest Holmes looks awesome with his incredible leap. The Ravens losing means the Steelers are on top of the AFC North, I'm just hoping it stays that way for good. But it's a long season ahead and I'm just hoping we can stay consistent (there I go with the we again, but I really am a part of that team).

I spent the afternoon on the porch reading The Order of the Phoenix again. That is a really good book. There are several things I love about those stories. Ms. Rowling really knows how to make everything readable first and foremost. I mean this last book is forever long, but you can't wait to turn the page and you don't want it to end. That's good writing.

She also knows how to portray children and even adolescents. How for a kid being thought cool is every bit as important as people dying. That's an extreme example, but it is the way kids think. I could cite examples of this I suppose, but this isn't really a dissertation, just my rambling.

I also like that she has strong female characters, I know this is easier for her being a woman, but it's still nice to see. I mean fantasy is rife with women who can hold their own, but how many are honestly the brains in their group? Hermione is clearly the brightest of the crew and puzzles out all the stuff Harry and Ron can't see. Rowling also makes sure to show that always being smart isn't always the easiest thing. Hermione has to take a lot of crap about being smart. I'd say she is the heart of the books, sure Harry is the focal point, but Hermione puts things in perspective for him, gives him his morals and is the guiding hand that keeps the whole story moving at times.

Anyway I'm gonna get back to the book now and maybe try to make up my mind on whether I can afford a new game tomorrow and if so which one to get (the new Mortal Kombat or the new Tony Hawk game.)

No comments: