Monday, October 04, 2004

You feed me to the lions

Now listening to: Radiohead

Another day of total slack. My back continues to ache, so I decided to not do a damn thing today. I watched most of the Steelers-Bengals game and liked what I saw. Our rookie QB, Ben Roethlisberger, is looking pretty damn good in his second start, hopefully he's only going to get better and become a franchise guy. Also the safety, Troy Polamalu, continues to look better and better. He is a playmaker.

After that I tried to watch the movie Julien Donkey-Boy, but really couldn't get into it's gritty, nonlinear and general avant weirdness. So I switched to Werner Herzog's Cobra Verde, which was pretty good. You have to stand in awe of the sheer magnitude of filming a film like this, it's literally got a cast of thousands. Klaus Kinski does a great job of playing the bandit Cobra Verde, a man who acts without remorse, but manages to capture his loneliness and regret. I can't really recommend this type of german epic to everyone, as it is not an easy movie, but I'm saying it's a cinematic foot massage.

I then spent the rest of the evening flipping around until Adult Swim and finished reading the Goblet of Fire. I am now going to re-read The Order of the Phoenix. I've only read it once, so it isn't quite at the same level of escapism as the rest, of course it's still pretty high. What can I say? I like Harry Potter, I'm a fantasy nerd.

Tomorrow I'm going to try and get applying for jobs out of the way for the week and movie on, so I can enjoy the week without a ton of stress. You'd think being unemployed would be easy, but really it constantly gnaws at your mind.

No comments: