Wednesday, October 20, 2004

One shot

Well I have quite a bit to cover today and all of it has to do with sitting on my ass and watching these newfangled moving pictures. I started the day off with a bit of the Deer Hunter. Wow, that's a quality movie. Not for everyone, but so well acted and deep. The whole Russian Roulette thing was hardcore. I'd give that one a foot massage.

After that I went to the normal tv stuff for a bit (PTI, Friends and the like). Despite my deep loathing for reality tv, I watched The Biggest Loser on NBC. It's about people trying to lose weight in contest form. OK, I'm kinda offended by the name of the show, especially when they have all these fat people rambling on about wanting to be the biggest loser, it just seems degrading.

Despite that, the show was interesting. Watching these people support each other and work to lose weight was pretty cool, less in-fighting than a lot of these shows (so far). Also those people lost a ton of weight in the first week there, but as anyone who's ever been on a diet knows, the first week is easy. After that your results aren't as significant and it tests your will power. I'll probably end up watching at least one more episode of this. After that I watched Scrubs, which was fantastic as always.

After Scrubs I flipped around for a bit and grew bored. As some of you know, I hate baseball, I find it tedious. That said, I ended up sorta watching the end of the Red Sox-Yankees game. Sorta because I also started watching Das Boot during it. I can't help it, I am rooting against the Yankees (like anyone with any soul is) and wanted to see if the Sox could force a Game 7, which they did. I may flip past that tomorrow to see if Boston can pull off the complete miracle.

As for Das Boot, man it is 3.5 hours of really compelling movie. It's an endeavor, to be sure, but it's worth it. It's about a German submarine crew during WW2 and you end up rooting for them, despite their NAZI roots. It has a full cast of quality characters that are really brought to life by good acting all the way around. Also I've been fascinated by sub warfare since I saw The Hunt for Red October back in the day. To top it off it has some wonderfully scenic shots of the ocean. I'm saying it deserves a Filet Mignon rating, despite the fact that I will probably never want to watch it again.

No comments: