Friday, October 08, 2004

You're fired!

Now watching: the rerun of the UVa-Clemson game

Since I was forced to watch TV I wouldn't normally bother with tonight I shall riff a little on my television habits and TV in general. First it should be noted that I am not an easy person to watch TV with, as typically I watch about three things at once. I am constantly changing the channel on most things. Back and forth at a speed which gives some people motion sickness. What can I say, I process things fast and enjoy variety.

That means that whenever someone who is slower on the draw with the remote is in control, I am going insane with boredom. Why watch commercials? What's the point, why not see what else is going on...catch up on sports scores, view a few moments of a music video or see if a classic movie moment is on TBS (and they usually are). I want constant input!

Tonight Trip forced me to watch Survivor and The Apprentice, both in the reality TV genre which I tend to stay away from. Trip freely admits he watches these shows because of his love of schedenfreude (which I think I spelled right). While I certainly have the capacity for that feeling, reality TV never evokes it to the degree where I actively pursue it.

Take the Apprentice (please), half the show is in the boardroom with all those business types trying to pass the buck. It's like a scene from high school...he said, no she said, but he didn't do this, but she did that. I've spent most of my life trying to avoid situations like that, why do I want to watch them in my spare time?

After giving up on Trip's ability to discern good TV from bad, I came home and ended up watching Viva La Bam reruns. While I know I would kill someone for any number of the stunts they pull on the show, I do find it entertaining to watch. I guess that actual pain and humiliation do trigger my schedenfreude reflex more than the psychological abuse of The Apprentice.

Anyway, my disillusionment with THUG 2 continues. I really don't like the fact that everything seems so hard to find. Plus all the levels seem so tight, like they crammed in as much crap as they could making it so nothing flows. I am probably gonna trade this in this weekend, barring any new epiphany. I'm thinking I may pick up a role-playing game as I haven't tried one in a while...well that or Mortal Kombat. We'll see.

No comments: