Tuesday, November 18, 2003

It's not easy being green

Well, when I woke up this morning (that's right the a.m.) I was in a tremendously foul mood. Fortunately, I have found some levity to brighten up my day. I followed this link to a Christian website decrying Harry Potter as Satanic. Oh it has some wonderful information on the site. Some things I found absolutely hysterical:

1. Satan's favorite color is green and Rowling uses the color green throughout the book. I admit Rowling does enjoy throwing green things at us, I wonder how we found out Satan's favorite color? Did we ask him? When he's out on the town does he wear lots of green I have no idea. Red, apparently, is also bad because occultists like it. So what colors are good I ask?

2. President George Bush (the elder) is a member of a group called Skull and Bones "one of the blackest of black Satanic secret societies." I still wonder how this information was obtained. Oh and apparently black is bad now too.

3. The potions class is metaphorically telling children about the wonders of drug use.

4. A child's nature is inherently evil. I never thought about it, but I think this is a pretty mainstream christian belief. I mean since you have to accept Christ to be saved i.e. good. Therefore the rest of us must be evil by nature. (This is less humorous and more of a simple observation of mine.)

5. Unicorns and the phoenix are symbols of the Antichrist. Never heard of that. Just a couple of fantasy creatures made to amuse children (and adults), but somehow became linked with evil. Of course anything that isn't directly Jesus is linked with evil to these idiots.

6. There are homosexual undertones in the storylines. OK, I'm all for trying to find the hidden homo subtext, but c'mon. This is just ridiculous.

7. The writer of the website (www.cuttingedge.org/news/hpmain.html) honestly believes witchcraft is real. He details how rowling uses actual witchcraft techniques in her books. Isn't that going against the Christian grain? This guy has dreams of burning witches and starting the inquisition again. It's just scary. Fledgling Torquemada.

So yes reading the writings of morons once again serves to make me snicker. I just can believe there are people out there who really believe this sort of crap. It's a children story...not a treatise for satan. Get a clue.

No comments: