Sunday, August 15, 2004

I don't get around how you get around

I just watched Gigantic, the documentary about They Might Be Giants. It was really cool. Kev loaned it to me, he always gets the cool stuff that analyzes how artists work. It's cool. But the DVD is great, it's got all these really awesome people commenting on how great the band is. People like Frank Black, Sarah Vowell, Michael Azerrad and so on.

Any TMBG are one of the greatest bands ever. I think I can say that they are one of the bands that made me realize music didn't have to be about big hair and guitar solos. They write songs about off kilter topics with an absurd sense of humor. It's refreshing to see these guys who are basically nerds, succeeding without really compromising their unique vision.

It was also TMBG that made me realize that you can't teach taste. I used to believe that the music I really liked and others didn't get was simply because they hadn't really listened to it and given it a chance. I found out that it's not always that way.

You know, being able to appreciate TMBG is a good indicator of how interesting a person is. If you don't get it, chances are you're not really worth the time. Maybe that's not completely true, but it's definitely a useful barometer.

So anyone reading this who has never listened to them, check them out. Their Dial A Song website is here. I'd rate them as headcavingly orgasmic, undoubtedly. I'm still watching the extra stuff on there now.

No comments: