Tuesday, August 10, 2004

To football blog or not to football blog

Well I have to say that the opening game of the preseason was no disappointment. The Skins won on a field goal on the last play of the game. I'm considering starting a football blog to document my thoughts about the games I watch and football in general. I'm not sure if it's a good idea or not.

Until I do decide to start a new blog about the NFL, here are a few notes on things I noticed from the game.
  • The Washington defense really seemed to be clicking pretty well for most of the game. Shawn Taylor in particular looked sharp (as evidenced by his two INTs, one of them returned for a TD).
  • Denver's offense may have been part of the cause for the Skins' defensive success as they dropped a ton of passes and didn't really provide a solid ground attack.
  • Matt Hasselbeck seemed to be the best quarterback on the field and he's the Redskins' third stringer.
  • Skins' coach Joe Gibb got exactly what he wanted from the game: an idea of where is team is at. The offense clearly has a lot of work to do, especially on the O-line, but the defense provided plenty of pressure. At this point in the season, Gibb knows that's how things are going to be and now has specific areas to work on.
  • The loss of Jon Janzen will be a big hurdle for the Skins, especially considering the pressure that the Broncos were able to put on the QB.
Anyway that's about it. I think I may go ahead with my football blog...but I need some time to get with it. My biggest issue will be sticking with it, particularly if the Steelers don't do well this season. That always has a way of sapping my enthusiasm.

No comments: